ASLA has released its 2012 awards call for entries for professionals and students and we would like to encourage you to enter.
Award recipients, their clients, and student advisors will be honored at the awards presentation ceremony during the ASLA Annual Meeting and EXPO in Phoenix, September 28 – October 1, 2012. The award winning projects will be featured in a video presentation at the ceremony and on the awards website following the event. Professional award recipients receive featured coverage in the September issue of Landscape Architecture Magazine and in many other design, construction industry and general-interest media. Student award official entrants will receive a complimentary full registration to the 2012 annual meeting, and the official entrant for each project receiving an Award of Excellence (up to seven) will also receive travel and hotel accommodations for the meeting.
The prestige of the ASLA awards programs relies on the high-caliber juries that are convened each year to review submissions. Members of this year’s professional awards jury are:
- José Almiñana, ASLA, Andropogon Associates, Philadelphia, Jury Chair
- Stephen T. Ayers, AIA, The Architect of the Capitol, Washington, D.C.
- Gail Brinkmann, ASLA, City of Phoenix Street Transportation Department, Phoenix
- Kathryn L. Gleason, FASLA, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
- Christopher Hawthorne, Architecture Critic, Los Angeles, Times, Los Angeles
- Mikyoung Kim, ASLA, Mikyoung Kim Design, Boston
- Tom Leader, ASLA, Tom Leader Studio, Berkeley, Calif.
- Thomas R. Oslund, FASLA, oslund.and.assoc., Minneapolis
- Jim Schuessler, ASLA, BNIM, Kansas City, Mo.
Members of the student awards jury are:
- David Yocca, FASLA, Conservation Design Forum, Elmhurst, Ill., Jury Chair
- Sheila A. Brady, FASLA, Oehme, van Sweden and Associates, Washington, D.C.
- Mark A. Focht, FASLA, Fairmount Park Commission, Philadelphia
- M. Paul Friedberg, FASLA, M. Paul Friedberg & Partners, New York City
- Paul H. Gobster, FASLA, USDA Forest Service, Evanston, Ill.
- Debra Guenther, ASLA, Mithun, Seattle
- Linda Jewell, FASLA, University of California at Berkeley
- Chris Reed, ASLA, Stoss Landscape Urbanism, Boston
- Andrew Wilcox, ASLA, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, Calif.
Both the ASLA professional and students awards feature five categories: General Design; Residential Design; Analysis and Planning; Communications; and Research. The Professional Awards also include The Landmark Award, while the Student Awards include the Student Community Service Award and Student Collaboration categories.
Entry forms and payment must be received by:
- Friday, February 3, 2012, for ASLA Professional Awards
- Friday, April 27, 2012, for ASLA Student Awards
Submission binders must be received by:
- Friday, February 17, 2012, for ASLA Professional Awards
- Friday, May 11, 2012, for ASLA Student Awards
There are many reasons to enter—and we hope that you will!
Nancy Somerville, Hon. ASLA
Executive Vice President/CEO
American Society of Landscape Architects