The 26th session of the PECSRL biennial international conference will be held on 8-12 September 2014.
The conference will be held at two locations: in the city of Gothenburg and the town of Mariestad in the west of Sweden. The congress will be hosted by the University of Gothenburg.
The conference brings together geographers, landscape architects, historians, ethnographers, archaeologists, ecologists, rural planners, landscape managers and other scholars interested in European landscapes. The conference offers ample facilities for meeting colleagues from all parts of Europe, for getting informed about various aspects of European landscape research and for initiating new projects. Besides paper sessions, poster presentations, workshops and plenary sessions there will be one full day of field trips to provide the PECSRL-participants with a detailed knowledge of the rural landscapes in the Västra Götaland region.
A post-conference excursion will be arranged 12-14 September to Finnskogen (the Forest of the Finns), in the Swedish-Norwegian border area, north of Lake Vänern.
- Historical perspectives on the rural-urban interface
- Challenges in EU’s new agricultural policy
- Tourism and recreation as drivers in the rural landscape
- Rural landscapes: concepts and approaches
- Biosphere reserves and other international landscape labels
- Food and landscape
- Gender and landscape
- Landscape and gardens
- Landscape as heritage
- Mountainous landscapes
- Planned landscapes and historical perspectives on landscape planning
- Landscape character assessments and the nature-culture integration
- Limits and possibilities in the ecosystem approach and ‘ecosystem services’
- Landscape management and practical knowledge
- GIS and other techniques in landscape planning
- Sustainable dimensions of peri-urban landscapes
The conference will have both oral and poster sessions, and we also welcome proposals for organized- and roundtable sessions. Guidelines for session proposals and the different presentation formats will be available in the fall 2013.
2013-10-31 – Deadline for session proposals
2014-01-31 – Deadline for abstracts for oral and poster presentations (300 words)
2014-02-15 – Registration opens
2014-04-15 – Early registration ends
Conference chairs: Marie Stenseke, Gunilla A Olsson, Katarina Saltzman
Conference secretary: Mirek Dymitrow